Thursday, August 27, 2009

I have not thing to post about cause life is depressing
But anyways, I started a new play.

Scene opens showing a deserted street next to three apartment blocks with papers, rubbish, dirt all over. An overflowing trash can is at the side. A “Missing Person: Offering $5000 if not found” poster is on one wall and on the other end, a “Wanted Kidnapper: Rewarding Eternal Peace if found” poster is on the other. A young woman, Gayle, is sweeping the rubbish off her doorstep with a broom and onto her neighbor’s. A man, Frank, walks into the scene smoking a cigarette and stops to read the “Wanted” poster.


Gayle: They never pay up. Don’t even bother.

She opens her house door and goes inside it carrying the broom. Closes door behind her. The door of another apartment block opens and another young lady, Emily, steps out of it carrying a broom. She proceeds to start sweeping all the rubbish on her doorstep to Gayle’s doorstep. Frank walks over to the Missing Person poster and starts reading it.

Frank: If not found?

Emily: Some people are better left lost, Mister. Finishes sweeping the rubbish onto Gayle’s doorstep and picks up a watercan to water the dead flowers in a flowerpot. What’s a well-dressed man like you doing on a street like this anyway? If you’re a spy, you’re not very undercover you know.

Frank: I’m not…

Emily: Well I’m glad you know…

Frank: I mean, I’m not a spy. I’m Frank Arthur Holds out his hand for a handshake

Emily: Puts watercan down and shakes his hand awkwardly Emily Black. You’re a weird guy.

Frank: I’ve been told. But my friends call me Frank.

Emily: What does your wife call you?

Frank: I don’t have a wife. Never married, never tried.

Emily: I see…

Short pause. Frank sits down on the steps of Emily’s apartment block. She sits down beside him.

Emily: What are you doing here anyway?

Frank: A real-estate agent promised us a good deal on an apartment here. He was supposed to meet me here. I guess I’m early.

Emily laughs loudly

Frank: Laughs along. What's so funny?

Emily: And I thought no one would actually want to live here! Wipes a tear You’re mentally stable aren’t you?

Frank: I doubt I am. But what’s wrong with here? This seems like a nice place, from what I’ve seen.

They stare at each other for a while

Emily: I don’t think you are. Besides, everyone who lives here is insane anyway…

Frank: What do you mean?

Emily: OCD spreads like the flu. We have vaccinations for the seasonal demonic possession. Good old Arthur from that block would treat them nods towards right side of stage but who exorcises the exorcist? He was one of the longest lasting. Died about five months after he started speaking backwards.

Frank: I'm...a pentecostal.

Emily: Keep telling yourself that, Mr Frank Arthur, and you'll be just fine.

No comments: