Wednesday, October 22, 2008

And, I've been reading Alice in Wonderland/The biography of Charles L. Dodgson.
Charles L. Dodgson is Lewis Carroll's real name
Lewis Carroll is only a pen name for the author
I can see why Marilyn Manson took him to be of two personalities
Well, I would hate to plagerise
But have a look at this.

It's a letter from Charles Dodgson to one of his friends, a girl aged 10 called Hallem
He had many friends at that age, and took naked pictures of them which is what made people think he was a pedophile
But it's only because records of his intimate friendships with women his age were kept secret by his family
They were scared it would be inappropriate
And Lewis Carroll's photography was only because he appreciated the human form
Nothing else

Christ Church, Oxford
January 23rd, 1862

My dear Hallem,

Thank you for your nice little note. I am glad you liked the knife, and I think it a pity you should not be allowed to use will "till you are older". However, as you are older now, perhaps you have begun to use it by this time: if you were allowed to cut your finger with it, once a week, just a little, you know, till it begins to bleed, and good good deep cut every birthday, I should think it would be enough, and it would last a long time so. only I hope that if Lionel ever wants to have his fingers cut with it, you will be kind to you brother and hurt him as much as he likes.

If you will send me word, some day, when your two birthdays are, perhaps I may send him a birthday present, if I can only find something that will hurt him as much as a knife: perhaps a blister, or a leech, or something of that sort.

Give him half my love, and take the rest yourself

Your affectionate friend,
Charles L. Dodgson

I find it odd, that he would encourage them to harm themselves
When he is fond of the human form
But I won't think
He is brilliant

No comments: