Friday, September 19, 2008

"I just wish he would stop thinking that I'm cheating on him. Here, dry," and Hayley handed a washed plate to Jason. He grabbed a dry washcloth and wiped the dish, before stacking it on a rack.

"He's such an ass. Hiring a private investigator and all," he took another plate and dried it.

"Don't call him that, he's just over-protective. He knows we've been best friends since first grade. I just don't understand why he would think I'm cheating on him with you," she handed him a glass.

"And, I don't think I'll be dating a girl anytime soon." It had been five years since he had come out with his homosexuality. Having a gay best friend wasn't bad in any way. In fact, it made then all the more closer.

Hayley stayed silent. The kitchen door opened and Ryan stepped out. Anger was written on his boyish face. Jason stepped forward, dishcloth still in hand.

"It's not what you think! We're not washing dishes, we're having sex," he spoke in a sarcastic tone Hayley heard when he spoke to straight girls hitting on his boyfriends.

"Get out of my house."

"Dude, stop being such an ass. You know I'm gay, and Hayley is no guy. Why would I hit on her now when I've known her for more than 10 years, right when she's engaged to you."'

"Hayley get him out."

"Ryan you're being unreasonable. He's my best friend."

"The best friend you're sleeping with. Get him out." Hayley's eyes decreased into slits, and she spoke with the fury in a woman hell hath no.

"Don't insult me like that, Ryan. If this is what you think. Then fine," she threw the dishcloth and glass into the sink, took off her gloves, and walked out, eyes welling up with tears. Jason went after her, pressing his dishcloth to Ryan's chest on the way out.


He stared at the pair of them heading out the front door, his hand still holding the rag to his chest. Why did he even think that she was cheating on him? Was it because Mark had just lost his girlfriend to his brother, and found out that the pair had been sleeping together. Now what was he supposed to do? He could not bear to hurt Hayley any longer, and yet seeing them together was so frightening.

Ryan went to the sink and stared at the glass Hayley had been drying, he took it and continued with her work.

No comments: